Saturday, January 2, 2016

Very Disappointed in Sherlock's Victorian Christmas Episode

The Sherlock Holmes in my eBook, Not the New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, is based  on Jeremy Brett's interpretation. However, this doesn't mean that I won't watch other actors as Sherlock Holmes. I hadn't liked the BBC's hit series Sherlock but when I heard about an episode set in Victorian times, I started getting excited.

When I saw a teaser film put out by the Beeb and PBS that borrowed from the Granada series theme and some visuals, I got even more excited.

I then saw publicity photos of Benedict Cumberbatch doing his best Jeremy Brett with slicked-back hair, hands behind his back and in a sandy-tan robe, then I determined that, darn it, come hell or high water, I was going to watch this episode.

Happily, no hell or high water happened last night at 9pm as I switched on my local PBS station and began watching.

I lasted about 15 minutes before I stood up, aimed the remote and turned it off.

What a disappointment! Problems included:


  • Cumberbatch talking way too fast for me to follow
  • Mrs. Hudson being way too young and talkative
  • Scenes and camera angles changing so fast that I started seeing flashes. (I have migraines, so I need to avoid flashes or they trigger another attack.)
If you want Sherlock Holmes on film, it's best to watch the Granada series with Jeremy Brett again. But of course, there's no topping the original Holmes in the writings of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment